Year 5 Space Day/Science Week
As part of our Space Day, we learnt that it is possible to use a water bottle as a rocket. We investigated what factors make the rocket that launches the highest. Have a look at this video to see what we discovered!
If you would like to try this at home, you will need:
- A cork (a thin one, i.e. not from sparkling wine)
- An old inner tube valve from a bike tyre
- A drill (or some way of making a hole in the cork)
- A bike pump
- A water bottle
- Drill a hole in the cork just large enough to push the old bicycle valve through. You may need to use glue to seal any gaps.
- Attach the end of the valve to the bike pump.
- Fill the bottle ¼ full of water.
- Push the cork into the bottle and point upwards.
- Make sure not to hold tightly to the bottle when you start to pump air into the bottle!